Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, learning how to draw splatter can be a fun and satisfying adventure. You don’t even need to be an artist to give it a go — all it takes is some imagination and practice. Splatter art isn’t about creating a work of perfect art, it’s about taking some paint and letting it fly! Here are some simple tips to get you started.
1. Start with a blank canvas. Sure it sounds obvious, but don’t forget that a blank canvas is the best way to start when it comes to splatter art. You can use any kind of canvas you like, whether it’s traditional stretching canvas or a canvas board. Just make sure it’s big enough to hold a variety of splatters.
2. Choose your splatter type. Now it’s time to decide which type of splatter you’d like to paint. There are many different splatter effects that you can try, from subtle circular radiations to thick and uneven clusters. Experiment with different shapes for your splatters to get the desired effect.
3. Pick your colors. The next step is to pick your colors. Generally, bright and vibrant colors work best for splatter art, and you can even mix in some metallics if you like. You don’t need to pick too many colors; just pick four or five that you’ll use for your splatters.
4. Start splattering! Once you’ve picked your colors it’s time to get going. First, make sure your canvas is covered in a drop sheet or newspaper to avoid making a mess. Dip your brush in the chosen color, and then flick the bristles with your other finger so that paint droplets splatter onto the canvas. You’ll definitely need some trial and error with this one, but it’s part of the fun!
5. Add details. The last step is to add any final details that you want to your splatter designs. This is a great opportunity to add in any extra colors that you think would look nice, or to go over any splatters that you think need a bit more intensity. And don’t forget to mix it up! You can make circles, swirls, or any patterns that you think will look good.
Once you’ve got the hang of spattering, start experimenting with different combinations of colors and shapes to create unique pieces. Have fun with it and be creative! You never know, you may end up creating something truly special.
6. Use masking tape. Masking tape can be a useful tool for creating intricate designs with your splatters. Simply place the tape on your canvas in the desired pattern, then paint your splatters over them. The tape will act as a shield, leaving behind a pattern of clean lines that can really add to the finished piece.
7. Use alternate materials. You don’t have to restrict yourself to just paint for your splatter art. Dabbing, sponging, and spraying other materials such as ink, glitter, or even coffee can create unique effects that add an exciting dimension to your work.
8. Experiment with different surfaces. If you don’t have a canvas, you can also experiment with different surfaces such as wood, glass, or fabric. All these can provide interesting results and often allow you to add texture to your splatters.
9. Try layering. Another great technique is to layer your splatters, one on top of the other. This can create an almost 3D effect as the paints mix and melt together. For example, you could start with a darker color and then splatter some lighter colors over it for a dramatic effect.
10. Use a spray bottle. The last tip is to use a spray bottle to create a gentle mist of droplets that look like rain or snow. This is a great effect for those looking to create dreamy, tranquil scenes. Simply fill the bottle with paint, add a few drops of water, and then spray away!
With these simple tips, you should be ready to get started making your own splatter art. Don’t worry if you make mistakes — it’s all part of the creative process. So, grab your supplies and let your imagination run wild!